1 in 4 women in the United States will experience abuse from a husband or intimate partner at some point in her lifetime.
That’s 25% of women in our country…25% of women in our state…25% of women in our city…25% of women walking through the doors of your church for worship on Sunday.
Shepherding the Unsafe 2018: Responding Faithfully to Domestic Abuse in the Church
Where: Grace Church | Pelham Rd. Campus | 2801 Pelham Rd. Greenville, SC 29615
When: Friday, April 20, 2018 from 8:30 AM to 12:00 PM
Faith leaders throughout the Upstate are invited to join us for a discussion on how to create a culture within your congregation that:
- offers support, safety and helpful referrals for those who may be experiencing abuse within a marriage or relationship
- brings congregational education and awareness to the issue of domestic abuse
- equips all members (especially church leaders) with a common understanding of healthy relationships within the context of their faith
What to expect at this event:
1) The “Why” of the CARE Covenant – A panel of ministers from a diversity of local churches will share why it is important for communities of faith to understand and respond to the issue of domestic abuse, as well as their theology and biblical basis for wanting to learn more about domestic violence.
2) In Her Shoes activity – An interactive exercise and debriefing discussion that will help participants understand the complex barriers that victims of domestic violence face.
3) Responding to Domestic Abuse in the Church – Education, best practice material, and resources for congregations to faithfully address and respond to the issue of domestic abuse.
This event will include knowledge and experiences shared by current faith leaders in the Upstate, testimony from a survivor of domestic abuse, training/best practice materials on how to address the issue of domestic abuse within faith communities, as well as a guided simulation and discussion for church teams to engage in together related to recognizing and responding to this critical issue.
Light breakfast and coffee will be provided.
Register here: https://shepherdingtheunsafe.eventbrite.com
This event is organized by the following congregations: Augusta Heights Baptist Church, Earle Street Baptist Church, Fellowship Greenville, Grace Church, Hampton Park Baptist Church, Israel Metropolitan CME Church, Mitchell Road Presbyterian Church, and New Jerusalem Baptist Church- Greer.